Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Voices in My Head


Has it ever happened to you that when you're about to fall asleep, a throng of voices wakes you back up? There's not much in your mind, you're in that place in which you're not conscious, but you can still hear things from the outside, even if not comprehend them. Then, in a creeping crescendo, a voice shouts or shrills into your brain so hard, that you come back into consciousness with a scare. That's what I call "the voices in my head". I don't know if it's my imagination, or if its a phenomena based on scientific fact. But I know it's scary, specially when it's more than one voice. Or when the voice is a tortured scream, like the one I heard last night.

Lately, my nightmares have taken on an unexpected turn, and I'm guessing it has much to do with my recently acquired taste for Japanese terror flicks. A monster suit will leave me in stitches, but the simple image of a man transfixed in terror and trying to scream will make me shit my pants. Specially if his irises are not showing ... :-(

I was afraid that I'd be having nightmares last night. Thankfully, I didn't. Last time I had a real nightmare (not just a scary dream), Eze had to wake me up, to wrench me from whatever force I was feeling that was keeping me from screaming myself into consciousness. He told me I was mumbling. I felt like I was trying to scream, but something black and liquid was keeping me pinned down and silent (yeah ¬_¬ pretty much like Spiderman 3's venom suit). And this is not the first time he has had to wake me up. It's pretty disturbing to have to wake up a loved one because he or she is crying in his sleep (plus it sounds scary, damn! it happens to my mom, too). It's scarier still to feel that you do not have the power to wake yourself up from a nightmare.

No comments: