Monday, June 11, 2007

Letting Out the Seams a Bit


Eze has been working nights and weekends during these past few weeks. It's his second jobs, @ Border's. He took it up so we could have extra income, specially since he still has a few credit debts to clear. I've tried to be understanding and supportive of him and this new situation, but unlike last time he held a second job, this time is a little rougher on me.

Why? Well...

[rant mode] For one, last time he held a job the hours weren't as long. It wasn't retail, so the latest he was out was at 10 o'clock at night. In the new job, that's the earliest he arrives home the days he has to work.

However, he was miserable back then. Most of the time he was assigned to work the booth at a famous, money-wrapped church building (the one with the dinosaur posted outside. Yes, that one). Now he works around some of the things he loves (books, movies, music? his LIFE!), and it's just like an extension of his Saturday hobby. He's happy there.

But I miss him...

Back when he worked at the dinosaur church there was also a buffer around the situation. At least during half of that time I received a long-ish visit from my dad and his wife. They kept me company, I didn't feel so lonely. I could go home and just chill with dad, it was fun! My mind was elsewhere (i.e. Dad's problems, which were bigger than mine), and my responsibilities were not that many.

Today my life is led to a different pace. Things at home are far from being the same they were back then. I don't leave the room anymore except to get some water. I quit the kitchen a few weeks ago. Communal areas have been abandoned for a while. "Estrangement" is this home's middle name. Dust has been gathering at the corners for a while, it's just waiting for us to leave.

So I have my breakfast, lunch and dinner out of the house. I've gotten incredibly fed up with fast food junk. You have no idea how cranky fast food will get you if it's the only component in your daily nutrition. I'm fucking missing salads. The summer heat is on the rise and it doesn't help either. I have taken Eze's advice and I've spent more time at Mom's. It make me feel less lonely, more at home. But it's not easy feeling at home when you've arrived all drenched in sweat in the 100-degree furnace you call a car... and you can't get a bath. (Well, I could, but I'd feel I was imposing. Water is not coming by cheap these days. Nothing is.)

... And moving day is at hand, and until now, I've felt a little on the lonely side dealing with the idea (and with the boxes, and with the dust). Yesterday I got mad at a commercial institution (a convenience-pharmacy with a name starting with 'W' and ending with 'algreens') because on Sundays they cannot sell (by law) certain items, among which was included the one item I had been needing for the past few days to start dealing with boxes: packaging tape. When you get mad at an inanimate entity, something's really up with you. It's the same "something" that causes road rage and distasteful graffiti.

So weekends like this come and go without pain or glory, and then a week like this one starts (week #3? #4? of eating crap 24-7) and I start misfiring at my boss on the job. It's not his fault, it's purely mine, because god knows how the system fails here, it does! But that doesn't give me the right to talk back to a fellow worker.

So I need a vacation. I need to move and I need a vacation ... [/end of rant]

... and a salad.

1 comment:

mika flores said...

para la proxima amiguita me das una llamada, we can hang, and by hang i mean entertainment that does not incur in wasting too much money, hehehe, entiendo la letania que tienes, just remember you can give me a call whenever you want