Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thinking With My Stomach #1: Antojito Paisa


Today has been a bit weird, basically because I have this unrelenting craving for bandeja paisa, specially (and inevitably, only) the one Alvaro makes in his own little restaurant in Caguas.

I am usually not very fond of the rice-and-beans staple most Puerto Ricans use for their daily diet. However, as soon as it is included in a bandeja paisa, it's all game. Then the ground beef, which is a total mystery as to how they make it. When you try it for the first time, it's like they're feeding you instant meat (all powdery, no juice). However, it becomes addictive right away. I guess it's the taste. There's a secret to this combo, though. All the meat juice is right in the pork rind: it's supposed to be crispy, fatty and juicy ... and BIG. Most of the times, they will also throw in some pork sausage as well. Clog your heart in one afternoon.

Then there's the slice of avocado, which I usually avoid since I used to love avocado, but it hasn't fully regained my trust since that one time it got along awfully with my stomach.

The rice is covered with a fried egg, sunny side up or easy over, which is a combo I wasn't interested in trying until I found my love for the bandeja paisa. And to top it all off, a wonderful arepa (please see Antioquian Arepa, although the one I've known since I was a child was the Arepa Paisa, covered in crumbled white cheese and butter... yummmmm!).

So give me a holler if you want to try this exquisite platter, I'll let you know how to get to Alvaro's (it's VERY easy!).


BTW: you cannot eat a bandeja paisa without chugging it down with some Colombiana soda.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ummm. that sounds good :-S
yo quiero. Dile a Chichi, que no es DOMINGO. q me trato de llevar un domingo, estaba cerrado, la boba esta, me quede con las ganas de probar el sitio... end rant

mika flores said...

sounds increidbly weird, but Im gamed to try that at least once in my existence :D