Thursday, July 19, 2007

Catching Up after the Switch


I started working at my new place on Monday. I was handed my laptop just yesterday, though. Seems like they weren't exactly 100% ready for me.

The hours are weird, it will take some getting used to. I've been working at offices for about 7 or 8 years now. My punch-in time has always been 8am or earlier. In most places I've been, it has been completely mandatory that I be there on time, down to the last company I worked for, in which 8:01am was one minute too late. In here, we work from 9am to 6pm, and it's almost like a suggestion. I've seen people come in at 10am or even 11am, and it's not a big deal. However, punch-out time is 6pm, and I don't see people leave much earlier than that. That will be the hardest thing to get used to, but it'll be alright.

The office is freakishly small, like a doctor's office. Right now, I'm sitting in the conference room, which also doubles as docking bay for the technicians (since techs don't get their own cubicles ... the office is freakishly small). This office is in a building that was apparently made for doctors' offices and clinics, and the footsteps of the people passing by in the hall make the floor tremble. It thunders through this space like it was made of construction paper. Other than that, the silence is a bit unnerving. These people are so different from one another, yet they all seem to convene on one thing: they like their peace and quiet.

These days have been odd, obviously. Being the new girl, not having the slightest clue of what to do, other than reading and re-reading the manual for the software I will be working with... and then again, sometimes getting the feeling of comfort that these people will most likely consider me family with astounding speed (since not only the office is freakishly small, but the staff is also not very big). I like it here, but I'm trying not to get too comfortable. My job's gonna be on the outside, at the client, and that's usually never a comfort zone. That's the reason I chose this: to get out from behind the desk and do something different... wake my mind up a bit.

So, on Tuesday we'll be on our way to San Diego (plane leaves at 4:52pm!), and after our return it will be work work work! I have a good feeling about this, though. I can do this, it should be good.

Different. But good.

1 comment:

mika flores said...

nice, no sabia que tenias un job nuevo :D ... te tengo olvidada... y sabras q se me olvido las peliculas que me pedistes, la unica que me acordaba siempre fue la de paprika, a ver si logro dartela antes de que te vallas